Nangang District Landmarks
Grave of Wang Yide
The history of Mengjia (or Wanhua) in Taipei City would not be complete without mentioning the family of Wang Yide.
The Wang family was one of the district's most prominent business families in the Qing Dynasty. Other famous members of the Wang family include Wang Chialin, brother Machiao (a philanthropist), and Wang Tsechen (also a philanthropist).
Born in 1796, Wang Yide, belonged to the 19th generation of the Wang family. He immigrated to Taiwan in his early years and used his financial wealth to help the poor in Mengjia through generous contributions to social welfare in the region. He received several honorific titles during his lifetime. He died in 1858 and is buried in Nangang.
Wang Yide’s grave was built of stone in typical Qing-dynasty style. Over the years, Wang’s grave has suffered the ravages of time and weather. The surrounding grass is overgrown, making it slightly difficult to find. But the inscriptions on the headstone remain clear. The characters "Lung Tang" suggest that Wang was a Chinese immigrant. His grave is an important emblem of the history of Taipei City.
The Taiwan Power Company Warehouse Area at Nangang
The Taiwan Power Company Warehouse Area at Nangang was originally the central warehouse, office building, car park, and repair garage of Taiwan Power Company. The building is right next to the Taipei railway track and has been around since Japanese Rule. After review, the Taipei City Cultural Heritage Review Committee approved warehouses C, N1, N2, and the machine room (inclusive of the reservoir) next to the unloading platform as official Taipei City historical monuments. The entire area occupies about 36,000 square meters. Warehouse C features architectural structures typical of Japanese Rule, with spacious internal framework that characterize material and technical properties available at that time. The building therefore offers great value and architectural uniqueness. The machine room next to the unloading platform and Warehouses N1 and N2 were constructed during the Japanese Governor Generalship, and featured architectural eclecticism common in buildings of the 1930s and 1940s. The faces are provided with modernist base pillars with horizontal striations, and the internals are intricately furnished with excellent architectural and structural work that are still intact to this day. The external appearance still includes features that align with more classical tastes. The interiors of warehouses N1 and N2 include elevator equipment constructed during Japanese Rule (1935), making the buildings extremely meaningful when studying architectural equipment.