Neihu District Landmarks
Tomb of Lin Xiu-jun
Lin Xiu-jun, considered one of the area’s most important pioneers, was born in 1699 and died in 1770 at the age of 72. Hailing from Zhangzhou, he migrated to Taiwan when he was around 20. After turning 50, he took the name Lin Cheng-zu and devoted himself to developing the area from Baijiebao to Dajia’nabao or the present-day Banqiao, Tucheng, Yonghe, Zhonghe and Neihu. The design of his grave follows the traditional southern Fujian style, with a mound in the center, a carved tombstone in front, flanked with stones. A short, curved wall encircles a broad court in front of the tomb. Designed according to the principles of fengshui, it is one of the very few completely intact large-scale tombs dating from the Qing dynasty in the Taipei Basin.
High quality stone can be found in plentiful supply along the outer edges of the Taipei Basin. At the end of the 19th century, the Qing dynasty government decided to construct the new city of Taipei, choosing to build its fortified wall with the andesite found in the mountains of Neihu and Dazhi. These old stones can still be seen in the culvert and walls of the former jail next to the Jinshan South Road offices of the Directorate General of Telecommunications. In addition to serving as material for the city wall, Neihu stone was also widely used as building material by the general population throughout the Japanese colonial and post-World War II periods.
Recently, the Neihu Quarry was closed for environmental reasons. Signs of excavation are still readily visible, as is a slope specially made for sliding stones down the mountain – evidence of the history of Old Taipei’s construction.
Guo Family Estate
Typical for a luxury home of the era, the house faces south and is surrounded on three sides by woods. The floor plan roughly follows a “T” formation. The predominant building materials are brick and wood. The exterior walls are made of red bricks and decorated with washed terrazzo and colored tiles imported from Japan. The floor is made of wood and supported by wooden beams. Another beam was specially used to hang traditional Taiwanese censers and lanterns. The facade’s elegant curvilinear design features windows of irregular shape, a curved, protruding balcony and a faux Baroque gable. A plaque has been added to the gable crest in recent years, bearing the name Bi Feng Temple. Despite this designation, however, it was never converted for religious use.